Monday, May 7, 2012

Better than winning

I am sure readers of this blog were waiting with baited breath to see if we won our "state championship." We didn't, and that's OK. I left Marksville with a much greater memory than the plaque that would gather dust on our office wall.

While I was reviewing the contest displays, a gentleman approach me and introduced himself. "Mark Mathes, and you are?"

"David Specht. Nice to meet you."

"You're David? Wow. I was just reading your column about your dad and saw my dad's name."

Mark is the son of Bob Mathes, my father's first "real" boss in the newspaper business.

For the next few minutes, we swapped stories about our fathers and how they taught us the "business."

He went on and on about the column and how he hoped he could find it online (he can) so he could show other members of the family. It was all very touching and flattering.

The encounter reminded me that behind every story (or column) there are real people. They have lives that are affected (positively or negatively) by what we publish in the newspaper. That is something we all need to remember more often.

My column took second place in the state competition, but it was first place with two sons whose paths crossed in Marksville.

May the Blog Be With You.

No comments: