Thursday, May 17, 2012

Attempting to be the change I seek

Everyday I am inspired to change for the better in some way. And each day I face the obstacle of my own status quo.

I find myself with new inspiration from various sources. One day it may be a desire to improve my health. Another day it is the inspiration to improve my business. Still another day it might be a deeper spiritual walk with Jesus. It is so easy to be "inspired"

Then comes the hard part, actually doing something about it. Ok, that's really not the hard part. Starting to make a change for the better is pretty easy. The hard part is "sticking to it."

Anyone who has made a New Year's resolution knows exactly what I mean. After a committed start, we slip back into our old habits and routines — and usually feel worse for having attempted and failed.

I wish I had an easy answer to this issue. But discipline is never easy. However, it can happen. I have personal experience that proves it.

As a young driver (and into my young adult years,) I had a very messy car. I mean really messy.

There was an instance where a half-eaten cheeseburger took up residence under my seat for more than six months. It was winter in the extreme northeastern United States, so it was frozen that whole time — but it still doesn't make it any less gross.

I would get into that cycle of committing to do better. I would perform a massive cleanup of my vehicle, only for it to return to the same messy condition weeks (of maybe even days) later.

The cycle continued through many many years and many different vehicles. It appeared I would be locked into a lifetime of being "messy car guy." I made excuses, had a few embarrassing moments, and no real change.

Then came an event that would force my hand.

My father owned a Lincoln Town car that he kept in immaculate condition. He was one of those people that seemed to exude organization and cleanliness. And somehow I didn't get that gene. (Thanks Mom)

One day my dad announces he is getting a new vehicle and that his Town Car is mine if I want it.

Decision time. My Dad's car was primo. But my Dad also would notice every spot and stain if I accepted the gift. Afterall, he had given me car cleaning kits for Christmas in the past (hint hint).

But that car was nice, really nice. Add to that my Jeep was on its last legs.

"Sure!"

Thus began my journey.

I made the same promise as in the past. "I am going to take good care of this one."

I wish I could say that I easily adhered to that pledge. I didn't.

It was kept clean for about a week. Then my habit of frequenting drive-thrus began taking their toll.

It was Tuesday and I knew Dad would be coming over for our weekly Department Head meeting. And, I knew he would park next to me. Perfect time for a visual inspection.

I quickly grabbed a trash bag and the Armor All. Tragedy averted.

While I wiping, my Dad's advice from the past rang in my head. "It's easier to keep something clean than to allow it to get so bad that you have to clean it."

Whenever I would hit a drive-thru or a convenience store, those words would come back to my memory. My mind would then add "and Tuesday is coming soon."

Each time I exited the car, I would grab whatever trash I had accumulated on the trip and place it in the can in my office — most of the time anyway.

Over a period of several months, the habit began to take hold. Funny thing was, Dad was right. This was easier.

Today, my co-workers see me bring trash into the office and dispose of it each morning. The habit has even expanded to my desk. Before I leave each night, I place papers in the trash and dress up my desk.

It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.

Now I just need to take that lesson and apply it to the other improvements I want accomplish in my life. Perhaps this blog is as much to remind me as it is to hopefully inspire others.

I have not yet arrived. But I am making progress along the way. And I'm glad Dad couldn't look in the trunk during the early days (Shhhh.)

May the Blog Be With You.

No comments: